Lowell Science Department Vision and Goals 2016-2017
Vision: The vision of the Science Program at Lowell High School for our students involves:
- Develop critical thinking and problem solving through a scientific mindset.
- A scientific foundation of knowledge
- Play a positive role in shaping the future
- Relevancy of science and importance in everyday life
Goals: The goals of the Science Program at Lowell High School are:
- To produce students with personal appreciation and respect for life leading to a positive involvement with the environment.
- To encourage students to practice rational, critical thinking based on objective observations and open-mindedness, which are the essential ingredients of the scientific method of inquiry
- To develop curriculum and classroom culture to maximize each student's development emotional and physical safety.
- To develop skills in manipulating materials and equipment for gathering, organizing and communicating scientific information based on observations and interpretations.
- To ensure that the scientifically literate person has a substantial base of facts, concepts, processes and skills which enable that individual to continue to learn and think logically.
- To have students appreciate the value of science and technology in society and to understand its limitations.
- To prepare for implementation of Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- To promote teacher collaboration as much as possible.
- Note: Our goals are currently not measurable year-over-year. California state NGSS testing commences in 2017-2018. We do have AP score results that can be used to measure our academic goals in those courses.
2017-2018 Lowell Science Course Offerings
Use this to help you choose which science class(es) you want to sign up for:
Lowell High School Science Course Pathways
Your Lowell Science Instructors (2016-2017)
Ms. Catherine Christensen (christensenc)
Mr. Bryan Cooley (cooleyb)
Science Department Head: Mr. Jonathan C. Fong (fongj4)
(E-mail contacts provided above @sfusd.edu)
Lowell High Science Department
back row (l to r): Dr. Marten, Ms. Killpack, Mr. Cooley, Mr. Dickerman, Mr. Shapiro, Mr. Newhouse, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Prothro, Ms. Johnson, Ms. Rotter
front row (l to r): Mr. Fong, Ms. Christensen, Ms. Melvin, Ms. Trimble, Ms. Balangue, Mr. Wenning, Ms. Robinson, Mr. Laureyns, Ms. Daley
photo taken: August 14, 2015